Why Should I Call a Slip and Fall Attorney?
We’ve all seen the bright yellow signs that read “caution” that are set out when there’s liquid on the floor. This is probably what you think of when someone talks about slip and falls, but did you know there are several different types of slip and fall accidents that can occur? We want to talk about some of the most common types of slip and falls and why you should contact a slip and fall attorney if you are injured in this type of accident.
Types of Slip and Falls
Spilled liquids or leaks aren’t the only scenarios where you could injure yourself with this type of accident. Rain or snow that blows into a building or creates hazardous conditions outside of a building could result in this type of accident. You can also file a slip and fall claim if it is caused by uneven pavement, holes, or debris along a walkway.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall
If you find yourself in this situation, you may be wondering what you should do. Here are the steps you should follow after slipping and falling:
- Report the accident to a manager or supervisor. You may be asked to fill out an accident report, and you should ask for a copy of it.
- Seek medical care. Refusing medical attention could affect the validity of your personal injury claim.
- Take as many photos of the scene of the accident as possible for evidence.
- Ask the manager if they have surveillance cameras and to keep the footage.
- Do not speak to the other party’s insurance company.
- Contact a slip and fall attorney to discuss your case and represent you.
Complications with Slip and Fall Cases
Like with any personal injury case, there are complications that can arise when trying to get compensation for injuries caused by a slip and fall accident. Keep reading to learn more about the issues that can hinder your personal injury case.
Scamming for Money
You’ve probably heard about people taking advantage of this type of personal injury case. These scenarios could include people faking injuries altogether or exaggerating the severity of their injuries. Due to people’s abuse of this type of situation, it can be difficult for true victims of slip and falls to get the compensation they deserve.
With any personal injury case, negligence must be proven in order to receive compensation. In a slip and fall case, you will need to be able to demonstrate that the liable party was negligent. This could include:
- A dangerous condition or obstacle that caused your accident existed long enough for the liable party to recognize it and remove the hazard
- The liable party did not follow routine policy in place to verify there were no hazards
- There was no reasonable justification for the potential hazard to exist
- No preventative actions were taken to keep the area safe
- Limited lighting and/or visibility
Calling a Slip and Fall Attorney
After being injured, you don’t want to have to worry about following regulations and filling out paperwork for your slip and fall. You want to know everything is being taken care of while you try to rest, recuperate, and recover from your injuries. A slip and fall attorney can guide you through the claims process by knowing what paperwork needs to be filled out, proving negligence, and dealing with insurance companies so you don’t have to. You don’t have to navigate this process on your own when you can have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side.
Now you know why you should call a slip and fall attorney if you are injured in this type of accident. Do you need to speak with an experienced lawyer about your slip and fall case? Contact one of our attorneys today to discuss your case.