car crash

4 Car Accident Statistics That Might Surprise You

A car accident can be emotionally and sometimes physically damaging for those involved. As careful as we try to be on the roads, crashes still occur daily. In fact, it is estimated that 1.3 million people die in car crashes yearly and millions more are injured. Sometimes, car crashes are outside your control, but it’s still important to know how to stay safe behind the wheel. Here are 4 car accident statistics that might surprise you:

1. Young and Elderly Drivers Are at the Highest Risk

texting and drivingWhile anyone that gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle takes the chance of being involved in a wreck, studies have shown that young and elderly drivers are at a greater risk. Young drivers make up roughly 4% of all drivers on the road, but they account for 6% of all fatal car accidents. Two of the factors that can play a role in this include speeding and distracted driving. Young drivers are still getting used to driving, but they also tend to be the ones who are distracted by their cell phones and other things. On the other hand, elderly drivers have a higher fatal crash rate per mile than middle-aged drivers.

2. Growing Cause of Death

According to recent data, fatal crashes on the roadway have risen to the 8th leading cause of death globally, accounting for over 2% of all deaths. When you look at the age group between 5 and 29, car crashes become the second leading cause of death. It also ranks second for the deaths of young people and teen drivers. Some of the many factors that can lead to a fatal crash include distracted driving, driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, and vehicle defects.

3. Leading Causes of Accidents

cars in an accidentYou may be surprised by this statistic. Only 10% of accidents are caused by vehicle defects such as faulty parts or malfunctioning electrical systems. Also tied into this number are environmental factors, which could include things such as slippery roads, poor visibility, and inclimate weather. When you subtract the 10%, that means that the other 90% of all car crashes are due to user error. This is why it is so important to not only pay attention to what you are doing but to keep an eye on all the cars around you as well.

4. Gender Gap

One of the car accident statistics that you might be able to guess is which gender is involved in a higher number of wrecks. According to recent data, men are more than twice as likely to be involved in a fatal car crash. When breaking it down by age group, male drivers ages 16-19 are also twice as likely to die in a car accident versus their female peers. Some of the things that can contribute to this include speeding and distracted driving, which is prevalent among teen drivers.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, contact our law office and let us help you through the legal process. We will be with you every step of the way and will fight for the financial compensation you deserve.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *